Wednesday, November 3, 2010

First Night of Child Birthing Class...DONE

Last night we started our child birthing classes.  I had mixed emotions about whether or not we should go.  There are some things I want to know but there's also a lot I don't want to know.  I've heard some pretty bad stories and, in all honesty, just don't know about having a baby come out down there.  My preferred method of child delivery is for me to go to sleep and wake up and Kaiden's in my arms.  All of that said, we decided to go.  I was super nervous because I can get pretty queasy. 

It started out good with lots of information.  I never knew exactly what some of the stuff in my body was for so that was pretty interesting.  However, when the nurse started talking about lacerations (tears) and episiotomies I started to feel a little weird.  I began to get really hot and my hands were swelling.  Then came the sick feeling in my stomach.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it but we took a break right after that so I was able to get up and get some fresh air and walk around.  There is one word in the English language that I just cannot stand and it's the R-word...and the nurse kept using it repeatedly.  Not sure it that's what was making my stomach turn or the thought of it being cut (I know, may be more information than you'd like to know).  We watched a video of a VBAC which was pretty graphic...count me out of that.  I want the drugs!

At the end, we spent about 15 minutes doing relaxation exercises.  We had to pretend we were having contractions and breathe appropriately.  At one point, our partners had to put pressure on our hips and for some reason David thought this was funny and could NOT quit laughing.  He had to get up and leave the class for a second.  He came back and I heard him praying that God would make him quit laughing.  This just caught my funny bone so we were both laughing so hard and trying to keep it under control as to not bother the others.  It was pretty comical.

I did make it through though.  We just have 2 more weeks of that.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand your queasiness. I was that way too. I was glad for the information, but didn't want too much because I just don't do medical stuff well...even when it comes to my own body. I pretty much told them to hit the high notes and only tell me what I needed to know. I feel like I had a pretty good experience both times with my boys' births. I delievered at Mercy both times with an amazing doctor and some pretty good nurses. I had to have a small episiodomy the first time around but it was small and healed up to where they couldn't tell that I was cut when I went back for my check up. With number two, they didn't have to cut me because the nurse did the massage of where they would cut you for an episiodomy...I felt violated (lol) but wouldn't have changed it because it made delivery so much easier. You will do amazing and in the moment, all those things you think you can't handle...that's where God's strength and focus comes in. I know it's weird to hear it from someone else's experience and figure out how it will be for you...but when you're in that moment, you'll just know. I pray for you and your pregnancy all the time even though you don't know it and we don't really talk. There's blessings for you and your son coming. I just feel it. God is good...!!

    ReplyDelete